tonight's Toronto Inferno game moved...

To all media and other parties:

Please see the news release below or attachment regarding the change of venue for tonight's Toronto Inferno soccer match, their home opener against the Rochester Ravens.

TORONTO INFERNO HOME OPENER MOVED TO WOODBRIDGE

TORONTO, ONTARIO - Will there be a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow for the Toronto Inferno this Friday? The city's W-League team certainly hopes so as they have been forced to move their 2003 home opener from Scarborough's Birchmount Stadium to Rainbow Creek in Woodbridge.

The Inferno kick-off their 'home' schedule with a match against Northern Division rivals, the Rochester Ravens, at 7:30 p.m.

Rainbow Creek is located on the north side of Highway 7, east of Martingrove Road but west of Kipling Avenue.

Toronto goes into Friday's match with a record of two wins against no losses after road victories over the South Jersey Banshees and New Jersey Wildcats last weekend.

About the Toronto Inferno

The Toronto Inferno, established in 1998, is one of three Canadian franchises competing in North America's 26-team W-League for elite women's soccer.

This year's roster features three members of Canada's World Cup team (Melanie Booth, Candace Chapman and Diana Matheson); two representatives of Canada's national under-19 squad (Robyn Gayle and Holly Lincoln); and one of Greece's national players, Canadian-born Stacey Janetos.

For more information on the Toronto Inferno and W-League, log on to www.torontoinferno.com, e-mail inferno@torontoinferno.com or

phone 905-294-6199.

-30-

Glenn Sutherland

Media Relations

Toronto Inferno Soccer Club

Alternate phone: 416-282-9241

--

Glenn Sutherland

Media Relations

Toronto Inferno Soccer Club

--

This is not good. Last year the Toronto Inferno would have been more accurately described as the Burlington Inferno. This year they said they would take up permanent residence at Birchmount, but already there is a change, in the very first match of the season. Moreover, when was this announcement made? Was there enough time for everyone who was planning to go to Birchmount to be alerted? There's no way they can develop a good fan base like this. It's hard to believe that this team is at the same level as the Whitecaps.

Oh, and what the heck happened to Carmelina Moscato??? [?] [?] [?]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Moreover, when was this announcement made?

Okay, considering both Robin and Elaine (checked her site) didn't know about this change until Friday (hours before kickoff), I think it's safe to assume that it was not announced until then. I'm not sure who's fault it is but that's just horrible, the team cannot operate like this. [V]

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Oh, and what the heck happened to Carmelina Moscato??? [?] [?] [?]

she's going to be playing for the whitecaps.

carm mentioned to me in ottawa she was looking to move out west to play with them (for various reasons...) and it was confirmed to me today when i asked candace chapman at the game about it. carm is in vancouver already....i guess the whitecaps just have to "announce" the signing.

i too just came back from the game, and to read my half-decent "report", just visit the Go Big Red!! forums (http://www.gobigred.ca), as i'll be posting a few pictures there by the end of the night and then adding all pics by tomorrow.

felt bad for rochester...but hey, what can you do? lol

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

hey-

just found out a few minutes ago that the reason the game was moved from birchmout was to the sort that the stadium wasn't open/ready etc. the inferno players only found out about the move last night...

i know a few ppl who were upset at the late move as they couldn't make the game etc...hopefully this doesn't happen again!!

from the few inferno games i've been to, none have been at birchmount b/c they always change locations! lol

elaine

----

Go Big Red!!

http://www.gobigred.ca

Everything you need to know about Canadian Women's Soccer!!

Archived