Even Pellerud has been given a contract extension

Jun. 5, 12:40 EDT

Canadian women's soccer coach receives contract extension through 2008

OTTAWA (CP) — Canadian women's soccer coach Even Pellerud has been given a contract extension through the end of 2008, the Canadian Soccer Association announced Thursday.

Pellerud's current contract was set to run out in August 2004. Now it will run through the conclusion of the Olympic Games in Beijing.

The 49-year-old native of Norway took over the Canadian women after the 1999 World Cup. His record with Canada is 25-21-6.

``I am delighted that we have been able to reach a contractual agreement with Even Pellerud as he has done an outstanding job with our entire women's team program,'' association president Andy Sharpe said in a statement. ``Since his arrival in Canada just 3{ years ago our women's team has enjoyed unprecedented success and exposure.''

Pellerud's team, which has qualified for the 2003 World Cup, is headed to Mexico next week to play friendlies against the Mexican women's team on June 12 and 15.

Prior to coming to Canada, Pellerud coached Norway and won the World Cup in 1995.

Thursday's announcement means both national team coaches are locked up. Men's coach Holger Osieck's contract runs through the 2006 World Cup.

Maybe it was a political move. The CSA didn't look that smart when it extended Holger's contract, after we were knocked out of WCQ... that's correct, isn't it? We were at least well on our way out the door when the contract was extended, no?

I guess the CSA's defence for Pellerud is that he's fulfilled his promise and gotten our team to the Big Show (not to mention all his other achievements). Works for me, I think--we've gone from a second-rate team to a viable finalist for the World Cup.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by MediaGuy

He *has* done a good job but...

Shouldn’t this have happened AFTER the WC and Olympic qualifying?

I HATE the fact I had to sign up for this forum. HATE. HATE. HATE.

I LOVE the fact we have to sign up for this forum. LOVE! LOVE! LOVE!

If you are interested in finding out why, feel free to send me an email over the weekend.

Back to the thread, there's a short article from Norm Da Costa on this in the Toronto Star (now that Norm has finished ignoring the Canada-Germany match in fine style). It suggests Pellerud was gone after 2004 had the CSA not agreed to totally separate the men's & women's programs.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Pellerud had been upset with the CSA's dereliction of getting things done for the women. I am glad they settled their differences. Pellerud is the best that has happened to soccer in Canada. Now if the CSA can get rid of Mr. Loud Mouth, I will be twice as happy.

Pellerud had been upset with the CSA's dereliction of getting things done for the women. I am glad they settled their differences. Pellerud is the best that has happened to soccer in Canada. Now if the CSA can get rid of Mr. Loud Mouth, I will be twice as happy.

Judging by the way the women's team plays I am not sure if he is the best thing that has ever happened. I just think considering the players, they can play a lot more like the Americans do, as opposed to this non-stop kick and run style which has resulted in such vast set of results (i.e. squeaking out of some big games with victories and then suffering huge losses on and off)....

Reza

Yeah... those second-place finishes really get tired after a while...

Well we can settle it after the WWC. Till then, although I can't argue you on the point you raise, I have to support Pellerud. Results are results, and we've gone from also-rans to contenders in a very short time.

The only thing that bothers me is the style we adopted for the WGC final. Like, what the heck, and all that. Still, if we're in the semis in September, then Even has earned his place, says I.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Archived