Sebrango for Canada???

Daniel

Ronald King is reporting in today's La Presse that some CSA officials are putting some pressure on Denis Coderre's Immigrantion ministry to make Sebrango a Canadian citizen so he could play for the Nats... The thing is, I thought he was, having resided here more than 3 years and not counting against the foreigner rule. Also, he's cap-tied to Cuba.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Do we really want this? Do we want non-Canadians playing for the Nats? When I look to my National Teams, I want to see people I can relate to, not people who are along for the ride. That's how I would have felt had I been English when Hargreaves joined England. I would not have been happy if I were English. As it turns out, I wasn't happy because I am Canadian, but that's a whole other story...

Am I the only one who feels this way? Do we want to do to Cuba what the English did to us?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Guest Georgio

I agree Mimglow...it seems hipocritical of us to persue a player like that and be so disgusted when Whoregreaves jumps on another ship. Sebrango can help Cuba. I'd have more respect for him if he did. We'll have our fair share of qulaity talent in the future.

Atleast the Whore has some family ties to England. Sebrango's country and culture where he grew up have no similarities to Canada either.

Georgio

....................................................................................................

"I am, in reality, a Holger fan. You just can’t help but like that guy. He always looks like he wants to dismember a puppy, and I love him for it." torontosupport about Holger

I think this guy has indeed defected from Cuba. Then again, I doubt it that he will be allowed to play for Canada. Canada will have try real hard.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Did he defect?

Mimglow, Ottawa

Sebrango should be eligible as a citizen, he married the woman (with the CSA I believe) who helped him defect and get his visas sorted out. The reason he can't play for us is that he's cap tied to Cuba. That being said, isn't there FIFA rules about political exiles and such playing for two countries? Guys that once played for Yugoslavia got to to play for Serbia or Croatia. Not sure the two situations are comparable, but there might a loophole since he had to defect and obviously can't play for Cuba anymore.

Now do we need him? I don't really think so. If he were a natural Canadian I'd love to see him in the mix, but I can't see him taking DeRo or Radz spots and as someone who's cap-tied to another country I'm not sure it's worth it.

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

I just feel we needn't go through this bending of the rules to bring a 30 year old striker aboard. We're Canadians, dammmit, and Canadians play by "spirit" of the rules, not some lawyer's warped interpretation of the rules.

Mimglow, Ottawa

He has a case to play for Canada since his removal from the Cuban team was considered to be political. FIFA allows players to switch their alligance if the ending of one's international carrer was political motivated.

This is nothing new, the CSA tried in 2001 to give Sebrango a cahnce to play for Canada. He was stopped largely by the big, fat, red tape producer known as "Citizenship and Immigration".

This case got a good profile from the National Post.

Sebrango is a Canadian just like you and I. He immigrated to be part of this country and I have no doubt he feels Canadian. This is not a Bircham who "found" a Canadian grandfather because he wanted to play internationaly. If he becomes eligible and can play for us, I say why not? However, seeing him play week in, week out, I think that his style is a bit too direct and that we'd be better trying to groom a target man.

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Do we really want this? Do we want non-Canadians playing for the Nats?

um, have you heard any of our national team members? take a look up at where a lot of our boys were born. hell, colin miller is scottish. a lot of our players are only playing for us because of grandparents. i can't remember which player it was, but it may have been brennan...but i think it was bircham, was playing for canada and had never even been here.

i wish bircham was back. big mistake not to use him in the last gold cup.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

um, have you heard any of our national team members? take a look up at where a lot of our boys were born. hell, colin miller is scottish. a lot of our players are only playing for us because of grandparents. i can't remember which player it was, but it may have been brennan...but i think it was bircham, was playing for canada and had never even been here.

I have to disagree with you statements.

Yes, Bircham was born in England and is as Canadian as Rusedski is British, but he is no longer with the team.

As for the rest of the (current) players, I think only Radz (obviously), Nsaliwa and Pozniak were born abroad, with the latter two spending the majority of their lives here in Canada.

As for the accents of some of our players, well that differs from person to person, as someone like Pesch has adopted a thick English accent (despite only moving there at age 19 or 20) while Craig Forrest doesn't sound like he's spent a day overseas.

I'd like to re-state my position, as some of the info I was missing has surfaced.

If he defected, and is a political refugee, then I have no issues with him joining the Nats. That's if FIFA declare his Cuba caps null and void.

I do have issue with players from other countries taking advantage of our lax immigration laws to play international football. Bircham for example.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Well, actually players are not "taking advantage of our [Canada] lax immigration laws to play international football." They are using FIFA's eligibility standards. Bircham -- with a grandparent born in Winnipeg which, according to FIFA, makes him eligible to play for Canada -- is an example.

---------

"There is hope -- but not for us." (Kafka)

Either way, I don't like it. It's like all the Argentinians playing in Europe without counting towards UEFA's foreigner quota, because player x has an uncle who's grandfather once had a dog that lived in Italy, therefore making player x Italian.

Okay, I'm exagerating, but it demonstrates my feelings towards FIFA's eligibility laws, and how they've been stretched in the past.

This reminds me, whatever happened to the claims about Juan Veron not being Italian?

Mimglow, Ottawa

quote:Originally posted by bettermirror

Bircham decided to retire from international soccer. Even if Holger had wanted to choose him, I don't think Bircham would have gone to the Gold Cup with Holger as coach.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

This reminds me, whatever happened to the claims about Juan Veron not being Italian?

Have you got the right player here? As far as I know Veron has never claimed to be Italian, and he plays for Argentina anyway.

Perhaps you are thinking of Mauro Camoranesi (an Argenetinian that decided to play for Italy based on his heritage)?

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

Have you got the right player here? As far as I know Veron has never claimed to be Italian, and he plays for Argentina anyway.

Perhaps you are thinking of Mauro Camoranesi (an Argenetinian that decided to play for Italy based on his heritage)?

IIRC, Veron was involved in one of those fake passport scams claiming EU eligibility, rather than citizenship, due to Italian lineage. It was not really interesting enough for me to follow in any great detail, so I do not know how it ended or a whole heckof a lot about the details.

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

You have two good examples looking at the German team of this. Gerald Asamoah could have played with Ghana. Klose could have chosen to play with Poland. Vieri with Australia and Olisadebe with Nigeria. Some of the American players could have decided to play with their birth country.

Actually De Jong was born in Canada & moved to Holland at age 3, so its not quite as tenuous as a Bircham situation. It was probably the first time he played soccer in Canada though.

Archived