National Team Games

Here's what the CSA's web site has in terms of an upcoming schedule for various teams.

Men's

WC - July 12 v Costa Rica @ Foxboro (Gold Cup)

WC - July 14 v Cuba @ Foxboro (Gold Cup)

Olympic - September 10 v US Virgin Islands @ St. John, NB (Qualifying)

U20 - November @ UAE (Championships)

Women's

WC - July 17 v Brazil @ McGill (Friendly)

WC - July 20 v Brazil @ Frank Clair (Friendly)

WC - August 31 v Mexico @ Commonwealth (Friendly)

WC - September @ USA (World Cup)

There are some big questions about this list. There are a couple men's WC team games that I thought were going to happen. Were we not supposed to play Jamaica in July, provided that we weren't in the same group as them? What about the Finland match in October?

For the women, the CSA still lists a game taking place against Mexico on September 4. The match is supposedly taking place in Vancouver? Any truth to this?

Guest Jeffery S.

Under 20 games, and Finland

First I think Finland is confirmed, it is on a FIFA date, think it's October?

Under 20s will go the US Soccer Festival in Houston late July, play the US team and some Regional sides. Maybe Mexico too though not confirmed yet. Also Costa Rica is supposed to be there.

Camp in Vancouver late September with possibly a match vs the Caps.

There is also the idea of a tournament in Panama vs. the hosts and Colombia, late October.

Then on to Turkey to play hosts and perhaps a European side also preparing for the World Youth Cup in late November.

The Jamaica match isn't happening. With the possible exception of some matches against local college teams during the 10-day pre-Gold Cup camp (or however long it is), the Germany match was it for pre-Gold Cup friendlies.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

quote:Originally posted by Jarrek

I think the game at McGill will be a sellout. If 7,000 people come to Impact games, I'm sure the womens world cup team can pull in 20,000.

You'd be surprised...

We can assume that minimum advertising will get you 2,000-3,000 (which is the sell-out at Lachine against England). Beyond that, the Impact need to cooperate with the CSA and the CSA with the FQSF to ensure that a maximum of people know about this.

All that said, the media keep the national teams at an appalingly low profile around here (the Germany game didn't get a writeup in my paper, just listed under "friendlies" in the stats pages!). At least this time all involved will have time to promote the game. I'm guessing we'll see a crowd between 12,000-17,000, which could give the Impact a good idea of "what if?"...

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

Archived