And so it begins.....1st friendly @ McGill-Women

Women's World Cup Team

Tuesday, June 03, 2003

Women To Play Brazil In Montreal

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association is pleased to announce its Women's World Cup Team will host Brazil in an international friendly on Thursday July 17, 2003 at McGill University’s Molson Stadium in Montreal, Quebec; Kick off 7:00 p.m. (EST). The match will serve as a tune up for the 2003 Women's World Cup, which, due to SARS, has recently been moved by FIFA from China to the United States.

“We’re delighted to be involved in opening up a new venue and partner with McGill University to showcase our national teams,” said CSA President Andy Sharpe.

“We welcome the CSA as a new tenant to Molson Stadium with the latest version of artificial grass in our newly renovated facility,” said McGill University Athletic Director Bob Dubeau. “We look forward to this match and many more in the future.”

McGill University is completing $12.5 million in renovations at the 88-year-old Molson stadium located on the downtown university campus.

A new FieldTurf surface is currently being installed, there by providing the ability for international soccer to be played at this venue.

Tickets are priced at $12.00 and $18.00 plus handling and convenience charges and will be available through Admission by phone at (514) 790-1245, on the Admission website www.admission.com, and Admission ticket outlets.

Special discount tickets priced at $5.00 per person are available to the registered soccer membership through the Quebec Soccer Federation (FQSF): 514-252-3068 or www.federation-soccer.qc.ca .

“I’m pleased to have a second match against Brazil in preparation for the Women’s World Cup,” said Canadian head coach Even Pellerud.

Canada will play another match against Brazil at Frank Clair Stadium in Ottawa on Sunday, July 20th where they recently defeated England 4:0 in front of 17,242 spectators on Thursday, May 22nd.

Brazil has defeated Canada twice in their only two meetings; 2:1 on July 4, 1996 in South Dakota, USA, and 4:2 on June 4, 1999 in Portland Oregon, USA.

Brazil earned their spot in the 2003 FIFA Women’s World Cup after winning all three games of the final round at the CONMEBOL Qualifying Tournament in Lima, Peru. Brazil beat Colombia 12-0 in their final game of the tournament on April 27, 2003.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Archived