Need for a Canada 'B' side.

DoyleG

Given the fact we may need to rely upon A-League players in the future, it's important to get them some international match experience. It seems a good time to form a Canada 'B' side made up of North American-based players.

Such a team could undertake exhibition tours in the off season to build up that experience.

Hard to convince of such an idea when the CSA has an $8 Million budget.

That's a very good idea !

Or maybe not a "B" team, but a "North-America" based team, that could gather in the winter and make some training camps in the sun.

That's good for the players who won't stop football in the off-season.

And good for the team and its cohesion as the players are together and learn to know each other.

http://www.impactsoccer.com

I'm not crazy about the idea, for two reasons that I can think off the top of my head:

- European players will be more reluctant to fly back to North America when we need them for WCQ, since the guilt factor is gone, they know they will have someone to replace them

- Controversy. If we end up qualifying for the WC with a B team (which I think would happen if we had a B team), then there would be controversy when the better European player would want to get in on the action of the WC. There would be a feeling of injustice. This happened in 98 with Jamaica, HUGE controversy.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

I think the idea has merit. I would suggest more of a standing national team using North American based players. These players would be called for training camps and play against any opposition possible in North America.

At the same time, a schedule of friendlies could continue in Europe using European based players. That keeps them in the loop in terms of system employed etc. If "B" team players are made aware that the final selection for WCQ and WC(if qualified) will be based on the best players available, I doubt there would be a significant controversy. At the same time, some quality players may be uncovered. And if the quality of the NA based team improves, the desire to play on the national team could drive some European based players (not necessarily the best ones) to make themselves available more often.

Pat Flatley and Kevin Dineen in hockey are good examples of players initially overlooked by professional hockey clubs that became noticed through the National team system in hockey (when we had one).

As with any topic, great points can be made for both sides, and you have done that. Nevertheless, I stick to my guns. Controversy and watered down National team. I could be wrong.

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Would love to see it. Could get a home date or two, "B" side or no.

And anything which well allow us a wider view of our player pool can't be a bad thing. Might find a few diamonds in the rough. Or stumble on some chemistry. Yah, I think I like it.

Minority of one

Archived