POLL: McKenna or DeRosario with Radzinski in WCQ?

MikeD

Based on McKenna's strong performance against Germany yesterday, who do you guys and gals think should be Radzinski's strike partner (assuming no injuries and full player availability) when World Cup qualifying starts next year? Is DeRosario still the man when he returns to action next season or should we try a big man-playmaker pairing with Radz and Big Mac? (a la Radz and Koller back in their heyday with Anderlecht.)

Mike D

Playing against some (probably) tiny Caribbean nations, I'm sure we won't see Radz. Besides, McKenna seems to do very well against lesser competition (mainly because when you're not good in general, you tend to suck in the air in particuliar).

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

McKenna easily.

Radz. can deliver some pretty good balls himself and there's no dought to my mind that Kev's height and ability in the air would present the bigger threat.

Did pretty good against what is probley the best defensive side against the air game in the world.

Minority of one

Adding to that, DeRo is great as a super sub. Bring him on for McKenna in the last 15 minutes and let him and Radz cause havoc in the box. A good way to break a draw or increase a lead.

Then again, maybe asking for a substitution is a little too much... wow, is it open season on Holger or what!?

:)

Allez les Rouges,

M@

With up to 20 WCQ games I doubt we'll see Radzinski in a Canadian uniform until the last group of 6. And even then only if the match fits with UEFA's schedule for international matches. With so many qualifying games there is no way they will all fit.

I don't beleive Radzinski will miss an Everton game for Canada, so there will be lots of opportunity for both McKenna and DeRosario to start.

Having said that, McKenna complements Radz better.

I guess I'm maybe one of the few users of this site to have seen Canada play in these three games in the

past year: Switzerland, Scotland and Germany. Sure, McKenna scored against Germany and he bothered

their defenders with his direct bruising style, but in some aspects of his game he is well short of

international class. His pace is average and his first touch, with foot or head, is worse than average. Yes,

he won plenty of ball in the air on Sunday but often his headers were lacking in control. Sometimes the

ball seemed to hit his head and go anywhere. Not what a striker like Radzinski needs. In contrast, against

the Swiss Radz and DeRosario worked well as a pair. With his back to goal, DeRosario often held up the ball well,

with a good first touch evident, and gave good passes to Radz or the support midfielders.

So, if they're all available, it has to be Radz and DeRosario. The other striker who I think needs to

be given more international experience, given the fact that Radz is often unavailable, is Iain Hume

of Tranmere, who impressed me when I saw him in England during the season just finished. He's quick

and he can play...

I think that you will see all three get significant playing time as I am certain that there will be few games where all three are available at the same time. I think the Radzinski De Rosario combination is the best against more skilled opponents but that McKenna and either of Radz or DeRo will cause fits for all but the top 5 or 6 CONCACAF nations. They simply can't handle their size. Frankly, based on what I have seen from Kevin, I am comfortable with him up front even against the top teams but think us stronger with the two fast skill players. And of course, if rumours of Holger pissing off Menezes are true, then we may need big Kev at the back, and even if the rumours are not true, he is third on the Centre back depth chart behind DeVos and Menezes and the German game showed we don't have a lot of talent there! (Also Rupert, if you had seen McKenna against the US in the Gold Cup, I think that you would agree that McKenna has made huge strides in his first touch over the past 14 months :) )

I also agree with Rupert and BC Supporter about Hume. He was very impressive against the US in U-20, had a terrific second half with Tranmere, earning a lot of praise for both his current play and his potential. I was most surprised by his effectiveness in the air, dispite a relatively small stature and the "professionalism" evident in his pace, positioning and play generally in the US U-20 game.

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

Hopefully rumours about Menezes aren't true, but even so, I think its also time that we got Marco Reda into the squad. We've given up at least 2 goals or more in each of the past 5 matches - true they have all been away from home where it is more difficult to keep teams from scoring, but obviously that is an unacceptable defensive record (with the keepers not to be blamed for most of those goals). Reda is a central defender playing at a decent level, we can't afford to not take a good look at him. The good news is that Holger wanted him for the Germany match, but the club would not release him, so he is being considered.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

DeRosario for me. Canada needs all the class players they can get their hands on. McKenna has done well at times up front, but as most posters state this is only the case against weaker oposition.

You don't win friends with salad!

Archived