The Best Thing about the Germany game

Daniel

Not DeGuzman the wiz-kid. Not Mckenna's goal. Not our lead almost until half time.

What is it then?

Craig Forrest doing colour commentary. I believe this was his first game and he was amazing, deconstructing the play and infinitely more passionate, articulate and interesting than the Duze.

Oh, and Craig: say it with me: SAH-LEE-WAH ;)

Allez l'Impact!

Allez les Rouges!

Allons Ultras!

quote:Originally posted by Daniel

Craig Forrest doing colour commentary. I believe this was his first game and he was amazing, deconstructing the play and infinitely more passionate, articulate and interesting than the Duze.

Strongly agreed. Though I thought both he and Gerry could have been a little quicker in picking up the fact that Germany's goal was called back (the second one). German television made it tricky by not showing the linesman, the referee nor the free kick that was awarded for the offside, but perhaps that's why they showed the scoreboard displaying "3:1". I thought it was funny when Gerry said that the fans were jeering at the scoreboard's error! Of course I already knew the result when I watched, so perhaps it was just me.

quote:Oh, and Craig: say it with me: SAH-LEE-WAH ;)
Speaking of pronunciations, am I being too European by pronouncing "Jazic" as "YAH-zich"? Gerry kept saying "JAH-zick".

I've always said it Yah-zich and when I said it to another Yugo-born man whose name starts with J and is pronounced like a Y the other day he didn't correct me, so I assume I'm saying it right. Anyone know how to say Budalich? Is it boo-DA-lich or BUD-a-lich or neither?

I thought Craig was very, very good.

I figured it had been ruled out pretty quick because they pretty much showed our restart from the offside call. It certainly wasn't a kick from centre. Other than that I agree the German feed didn't give them too many clues and well goal seemed good. On a side tangent, if he played advantage and the next touch of the ball resulted in an offside, wouldn't it be a German free kick from the spot of the foul since no advantage was gained? Or was he right since the Germans squandered their advantage on their own, with the foul playing no part?

McKenna's goal was still the best part of this game, I don't care how good Craig is :)

cheers,

matthew

The secret of life is to find moments of levity and grace in what is, ultimately, a tragedy. Watching Canadian soccer is good practice for this.

DJT/Matthew:

Agree with your comments about the "goal/no-goal". I too initially thought that you could see Onstadt send the ball toward where it would be taken for an offside free kick and put the ball back into play but the German feed [understandably dwelled on the replays].

It was much more comical when I saw a replay knowing what had happened with both G/C going on at length [i think at least 3 minutes passed by before then discovered their error]after the replays of the good calls permitting the goal. The comment you have mentioned about the crowd "hooting" the scoreboard but even more precious was Gerry, when they discovered their error, blaming the referee for not having informed everyone of his call.

Oh well, good coverage if you had digital cable but unfortunately there are many other games I would have preferred to see being replayed this week rather than this one.

bmac

Edm

Couldn't agree more that Craig was a nice change (though I agree that McKenna's goal was still the best part of the match, followed closely by the run from De Guzman which preceded it). Nice to hear someone that, while not afraid to correctly indicate where Canada is playing poorly or making mistakes, gets genuinely excited when we play well. This is the kind of guy who's enthusiasm will be good for selling the game to Canadians & is much preferable to the jaded cynicism that Lenarduzzi provided us with all too often.

Craig suffered a bit muffing his words - "Bosnia & Montenegro" at one point, while also mis-pronouncing Nsaliwa & Pizzolitto's names (I think Nevio became "Pizza Lotto" at one point), but these are the kinds of errors that should be correctable as he gains more experience calling games - this was his first match after all.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Guest Georgio

Jazic is pronounced by all friends of his and people that know of him in Nova Scotia "Jah-zick" - that'll remain. I guess that would be is Canadian pronunciation. It's the same as another Croation who played for the Nats for a brief spell from Nova Scotia: Craig Janc pronounced "Yahnc" in Croation but in Nova Scotia amongst his peers was pronounced "Jaenck". It's up to you I guess and up to the commentator. I personally couldn't get used to calling him "Jah-zich" cause I never have but only knew that was his European name.

Georgio

....................................................................................................

"I am, in reality, a Holger fan. You just can’t help but like that guy. He always looks like he wants to dismember a puppy, and I love him for it." torontosupport about Holger

Unlike the scoreboard operators, I spotted straight away that that "goal" had been disallowed, because

I was behind the linesman who put his flag up. I thought it was a wrong call to rule it out, mind!

The German announcer on the pitch said "Yahzich" which is also how it would be pronounced in Croatia.

The German journalist sitting next to me found out before the game that I spoke English but I reckon he thought

I was Canadian, rather than English. Because, when the Canadian anthem was sung he was oblivious to what

was going on and remained seated. Then he realised, and jumped to his feet hurriedly, apologising profusely to me!

Yesterday's copy of "Kicker" magazine also gave much more coverage to Saturday's German Cup final than to the international.

I too believe Craig was a breath of fresh air. While he did make a few mistakes - he must of used 10 different variations of Pizzolitto and used first names several times (Pat comes to mind) it was a good performance overall.

As for Dobson, he is missing what I classify a true soccer voice. This isn't anything he can change or improve on as he has come a long way over the years, yet his voice doesn't lend itself well to soccer - if that makes any sense.

Doing play by play from a studio must be a difficult task yet I was doing a double take on the screen to make sure Dobson was using the correct names after he called them out. I found he made several mistakes early on (like usual) and often didn't call anything when the play was in progress and players were crossing over into different positions. That said it's sad to think that a modern country like Canada can't send a live TV crew to cover a match with a world power like Germany. A soccer atmosphere cannot be re-created thousands of KM away in a Toronto studio.

"....I've finally learned to accept myself for who I am: a beggar for good football.....and when good football happens, I give thanks for the miracle and I don't give a damn which team or country performs it." Eduardo Galeano

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

Jazic is pronounced by all friends of his and people that know of him in Nova Scotia "Jah-zick" - that'll remain. I guess that would be is Canadian pronunciation. It's the same as another Croation who played for the Nats for a brief spell from Nova Scotia: Craig Janc pronounced "Yahnc" in Croation but in Nova Scotia amongst his peers was pronounced "Jaenck". It's up to you I guess and up to the commentator. I personally couldn't get used to calling him "Jah-zich" cause I never have but only knew that was his European name.

Georgio

....................................................................................................

"I am, in reality, a Holger fan. You just can’t help but like that guy. He always looks like he wants to dismember a puppy, and I love him for it." torontosupport about Holger

According to the Croation mother of my eldest son's best friend (refuges from Sarajavo) it is properly pronounced with a "Y" sound - as in Sarajevo for example, or Jellena (Yellena) her daughter's name. However she does point out that some of her fellow refuges have anglo-sized the pronunciation of their name since coming to Canada the US. And so, pronuciation with a"J" may be the way the family now pronounces it.

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

Guest Georgio

Gordon's message:

According to the Croation mother of my eldest son's best friend (refuges from Sarajavo) it is properly pronounced with a "Y" sound - as in Sarajevo for example, or Jellena (Yellena) her daughter's name. However she does point out that some of her fellow refuges have anglo-sized the pronunciation of their name since coming to Canada the US. And so, pronuciation with a"J" may be the way the family now pronounces it.

Ante's parents have kept a strong Croatian heritage in the family and travel to Croatia regularly. They, along with the other Croatians I knew in Nova Scotia from playing soccer like to maintain this and pronounce the names as you have said. I made a mistake in the last part of my last message. I should have said I personally can't get used to calling him "Yah-zich" (not "Jah-zich")because I never have. So your correct about the proper European pronunciation but it is just the small tight community of Croatians in Nova Scotia that call the family "Yah-zich", otherwise it's the anglo-sized (Jah-zick) version by all his Canadian peers. Which makes sense since we live in Canada. I wonder how the rest of Canada will adopt his name. Probably however the commentators choose to pronunciate his name. I noticed on the X-Box FIFA 2003 they pronounce it "Yah-zich" too.

BTW, how did you post the reply that way with my original message's font size reduced?

Georgio

quote:Originally posted by Georgio

BTW, how did you post the reply that way with my original message's font size reduced?

Georgio

Nothing deliberate, I just hit the little "reply with quote" icon (looks like a piece of paper with an arrow) and the 'puter does the rest.

In a World full of caterpillars it takes balls to be a butterfly.

quote:Originally posted by Enzo

I too believe Craig was a breath of fresh air. While he did make a few mistakes - he must of used 10 different variations of Pizzolitto and used first names several times (Pat comes to mind) it was a good performance overall.

As for Dobson, he is missing what I classify a true soccer voice. This isn't anything he can change or improve on as he has come a long way over the years, yet his voice doesn't lend itself well to soccer - if that makes any sense.

Doing play by play from a studio must be a difficult task yet I was doing a double take on the screen to make sure Dobson was using the correct names after he called them out. I found he made several mistakes early on (like usual) and often didn't call anything when the play was in progress and players were crossing over into different positions. That said it's sad to think that a modern country like Canada can't send a live TV crew to cover a match with a world power like Germany. A soccer atmosphere cannot be re-created thousands of KM away in a Toronto studio.

First, is your name pronounced "NNNNNNNNzoh" (like "endzone" without the "d"), "Ayyynnzo" (mediterranean proncn), 0r "EEEEEEEEEEEnnnzo"?

;)

It's true that Dobson is not the most exciting or "ontheball" describer of action on the field, but he is a fount of much knowledge about the players and makes some astute after-the-action commentary.

Commentators on the scene are the exception rather than the rule, especially for networks from another country. I think that was the case for most of the WC games on most of the networks. It showed a lot on Sunday because of Gary and Doug's inexperience. I don't think they did bad for trying to tie-in to a foreign feed, and certainly they do better than ESPN (who are never present) or Sky Sports (who usually are for games in England). No way Sportsnet could send commentators overseas (there are also big costs to joining the feed at source), and I don''t think any Canadian (or US) network could, even for the World Cup.

who really cares about pronunciation...the thing is dobson is trying to shed some light on the matches..he does a decent job on keeping up with what players are playing where etc...yet he really just probably has only been calling the game for a few years...i am not sure if he was a soccer nut before....but rather doubtful...with forrest there is that sort of repose which comes from knowing the game...sensing when large opportunities present themselves..which he commented on several times when we got punished in the second half....it was nice to lead germany for a while....but there is no way dasovic should have played past the 55 minute mark...don't tell me we could not have shuffled things around a bit...bring in a fresh defender for fenwick..who incidentally has completely sucked since the columbia final in the 2000 gold cup....he has been two steps behind since that match...lack of options i guess...i just want to see younger players who have some arrogance and composure, and read the game at a higher level...stalteri should have dropped to centre mid at 50 minute mark...take out dasovic....take off nash...basically get fresher legs in sooner....holger yells too much....when you are getting out run by germany...him yelling at every little throw in just makes things worse....my opinion anyways....

I would think the players at the very least would care about pronounciation of their names, but its not something to be too concerned about, as I expect Craig will get better at that sort of thing.

I'm not sure I agree that Dobson is a "fountain of knowledge" about the players, but I suppose in comparison to other generic Sportsnet staff he probably is. I have to agree with Enzo that Dobson has improved but doesn't have a great soccer voice, nor I would add, a great "style" for calling soccer - he knows the game a bit better, but still isn't a natural at it. He isn't as articulate in calling the games as his UK counterparts, but this is a fault that all North American play-by-play men suffer from, not just Dobson, so its tough to single him out on that front.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Craig is still learning his new craft. I'll say this of him. He's a lot less stiff than he was at one time, so we'll see what the future holds but I think he'll do all right.

Nope, don't like Gerry's play by play but like GL wrote maybe we're a bit spoiled in this country and come to expect the MUCH superior BBC tradition of calling football (one gladly carried on by some at ITV). Football can't be called in that same fashion as most NA sports currently are so it's hard to expect a NA broadcaster to pull it off even if they tried. Think Gerry knows the game all right, but well agree it's likely not his natural element.

Minority of one

Archived