Renderings of new Hamilton Commonwealth Stadium

Jarrek

Copps is a arean. I think you mean Ivor Wynne. Where did you find out that Hamilton is building a new stadium if its gets the games?? It that for sure whats it going to loook like??? Also where did you get the pictures of whats it going to look like??

If I understand the drawings correctly, it would indicate that the stands would be drawn in over the track once the games (if we land them) were complete to create a more intimate atmosphere. That's what the plans seem to indicate. Would also hope that it would be much like Commonwealth in Edmonton with a grass pitch.

I was originally pissed when Hamilton got the Canadian bid rather than Halifax, but I'm pulling for them now so we can get our national soccer stadium. The CSA should pull up stakes on the Toronto project and throw its (very low) weight behind Hamilton's bid and stadia project. That may spur FIFA to endorse Canada's bid because they want to include footy. Don't want to get cricketers' knickers in a knot, but soccer in the games would be way more appealing than even one-day cricket, plus the champion wouldn't be a foregone conclusion. :D

The Aussie AMATEUR cricketeers might have problems. The game is heavily professionalized in Oz.

Cricket is a uniquely Commonwealth sport, so they do have a good argument. Football just doesn't carry the same passion in much of the Commonwealth, especially India/Pakistan/Sri Lanka/Bangladesh.....80% of the population of the Commonwealth.

Football is the world sport, however, and is needed to make the Commonwealth games more relevant.

Hopefully there will be room for both....

...If Hamilton gets the game. The Games Executives will probably give it to Delhi, as Canada has had more than its share. Politically, you have to give it to India, notwithstanding the stability that Hamilton offers. Same reason Africa is getting the 2010 WC in Football.

You know what, looks really good. But you have to dump the track. Do that and your at 100% so far as you can tell from those images.

Think Hamilton would do all right for a National Stadium. I'd go.

Minority of one

Yeah me too...West Jet flies real cheap from Ottawa to Hamilton...probably cost me a fortune in cab fare, but you guys could give me a lift...right? Right? :)

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

Re: Conversions

Speaking of dumping the tracks after the Games are over, that seems to be a real psychological barrier for many cities. England seems to have gotten over it in the quck conversion of the Manchester Commonwealth Games stadium for Manchester City club. Looking at the mass of Italian stadiums, such as Rome's Olympic, Cagliari, del Alpi, etc (surprised to see how nice the Reggina stadium was, a sort of mini-San Siro), it appears that such conversions are held back on the hope of one more big Athletics event, a dim hope in most cases. Edmonton, however, did get the T&F Worlds in 2001.

Speaking of Stadium envy, at least we in Edmonton will not be threatened for a long time. The present caverns in Vancouver, Montreal and Toronto don't threaten us if they're not in the open!

A National Football Stadium in Hamilton.........why not!

The attendance from cricket in KL98 was considered to be poor. It wasn't included in Manchester and hasn't been confirmed yet for Melbourne in 2006.

If soccer is to be added for Hamilton 2010, what would be the other soccer venues that could be used?

quote:Originally posted by DoyleG

If soccer is to be added for Hamilton 2010, what would be the other soccer venues that could be used?

There's Brian Timmis, with its 5,000 seats, and there's maybe the Mac playing field, which is unlit and whose stands and facilities, when I walked by them last fall, were in what I would charitably call poor condition.

However, since there would probably be few teams in the tournament (8?), we could probably get away with two stadia, or even one. There would be 12 round robin games, plus two semi-finals and two medal games, for an 8-team field, I imagine. Or maybe they could have only 6 teams--groups of three! Bring on the coin tosses!

Allez les Rouges,

M@

It would probley more like the Pan-Am games, a tournament in which countries send their young squads to compete.

I would expect the tournament to be larger with around 12 teams. So playing outside of Hamilton will have to be a possibility.

To be honest, I would take this with a grain of salt. There are a number of problems with this stadium. It is not a fit for Hamilton.

It goes completely against the trend of downtown development for Hamilton.

It goes completely against the waterfront plans Hamilton has been working on for the past 10 years.

There is no parking in the area.

The area road system is antiquated. There is no way the waterfront area could handle that type of traffic.

The surrounding area is residential. The residential waterfront areas, namely Bay Street, have been rising in value - some as much as 20% in the past few years. These areas used to be the city's slummy parts. Hamilton has already had to deal with the folks who live near Ivor Wynne (which is also smack dab in the middle of a residential area) and the gridlock, noise, pollution, and overcrowding that occurs.

And finally, although a new stadium would draw some additional fans, it's not as if the Ti-Cats are selling out ivor Wynne.

Monday mornings 7 - 9: Wake up to African music on CFMU 93.3 Hamilton or cfmu.mcmaster.ca

Archived