Starting line-up against the Germans

Gian-Luca

With today's news that Kevin McKenna has been added to the roster & that Jordan & Budalic are unlikely to start, the starting line-up may be a little easier to predict.

I think we will see:

McKenna

Stalteri

Jazic Imhof Dasovic Nash

Hastings Menezes Fenwick Pizzolitto/Fletcher

Onstad

The same sort of formation as we saw against Libya (with Dasovic in the Atiba Hutchinson role). According to the same Neil Davidson article, Nsaliwa was a late arrival in camp, so I'm wondering if for that reason we will see De Guzman start (who has already been in camp).

De Guzman, Nsaliwa & Canizalez and either Pizzolitto or Fletcher (whoever doesn't start) coming on as subs in the 2nd half, & perhaps Nash as well. Since Holger doesn't always use all of his subs I am wondering if we will see Jordan & Budalic at all (though it also doesn't sound like McKenna will likely last the whole match, so maybe we will).

Note that this isn't what I would do, it is what I think Holger will do however. For a start, I'd play De Guzman in midfield rather than Dasovic - Julian has been playing as a defender in the Bundesliga recently so I have no worries that he won't be able to cut it in a defensive midfield role.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Okay, I can give you Big Kev as the target. But how about a little more energy? Holger's going to rah-rah the lads and tell them to play smart and choose their spots but Nash and the German based fellows are going to run their guts out. And hopefully towards the German goal (with the ball would be nice). Thinking a little bit of high octane well give the German squad fits.

So anyone nearest the touch line has freedom of descretion to move forward as circumstances allow. Keeping that in mind.

McKenna

Stalteri

Janzic Imhof deGuzman Nash

Menezes Fenwick Pizzolitto Fletcher

Onstad

Am guessing Tony M. well show well enough to play on sunday. Don't really expect to see too many subs though (whenever do we?) but yah, Big Kev won't last the 90 and Tam'll be chomping at the bit to see the pitch. Hard to imagine Nick not playing but I think he has to play himself into a role. Don't know if his purpose in Germany has anything to do with being in the game sunday. Would sure like to see him in front of Fenwick and Nevio, though.

Kenny S. gets the best seat in the house but not a minute of game time unless we're getting hammered.

Minority of one

I like your line up more than what I think Holger will choose (perhaps I'm wrong about Nash or Dasovic starting ahead of De Guzman - after all, how can we start A-league players over Bundesliga players in a match against Germany in Germany).

I don't think we will see Menezes as a left back - we'd be more likely to see Pizzolitto out there, or even Fletcher (with Pizzolitto on the right). I'm pretty sure Fenwick will be asked to mark Bobic, with Menezes clearing up the detritus left behind.

But I do like the idea of Nash playing out wide somewhere & sending crosses right on to McKenna's head.

Overall I am more optimistic of a good result. Amazing the difference one player can make.

Well a lot of things can happen, when you're walking down the street, and it never fails to amaze me, the people that I meet. They all say "See you later" and I just answer "How? How will you see me later, when you can't see me now?" - Kevin Ayers, The Confessions of Dr. Dream & Other Stories (1974)

Guest Jeffery S.

Looks to me that Germany requested McKenna's presence to help them prepare for Scotland. They are going to love us for this if we play with strong wings and crosses to a tall guy in the middle. Great practice for them.

The thing is though McKenna is actually a good finisher, even with his feet, and has a good sense of anticipation. As long as we have midfielders following him in I'd say he is a fine option.

If it is 4-4-2 we are going to be a much more stable team I'd say.

Due to recent events, that is, Janzic's boo-boo. Slight modifications.

It's actually getting easier to pick a line up as the kick off draws nearer. McKenna's arrival, and now Janzic's at best limited ability to show on sunday. Honestly, a week ago I was at a loss. But now we've got a very clear picture I think of how the attack is going to come and a place for MC2 to find his way onto the pitch.

Maycoll I'm sure was going to find his way into sunday's match but who'd you sub. to make room for his playing time? And could you do it without switching formations? Played a few ideas in my head but nothing really settled rightly. Now Janzic out, and in goes MC2 in exactly the same role.

As I've only the Libya friendly to judge Menezes by from the last couple of seasons I'd still prefer Pizzolitto in the middle as he seems comfortable in the air and is the bigger man. Tony sure could help Paul F. out with his shortcomings (ie judgments and getting turned) but for this match he'll play the flank. Hopefully we'll be mobile and fluid enough outside to "encourage" the Germanys to advance through the middle. If they do. I'll be content. So.

McKenna

Stalteri

Canizalez Imhof DeGuzman Nash

Menezes Fenwick Pizzolitto Fletcher

Same suspects in a 4-4-2 (which I'd prefer allways). Maycoll left striker, Paul S. drops into right cente mid., DeGuzman right mid. and Nash switchs sides to play on his wrong foot, left mid. Wheh,,,.

Minority of one

Archived