Any News About OLYMPIC Teams Campaigns?

beachesl

Any news about the campaigns for the Olympic teams, Men's and Women's, team selection, dates, venues, etc.?

I assume that the Woman's team will be the same as the National team (still no age or other restrictions for them), and that there is no rush to do anything until after the WWC. RSSSF doesn't even list dates for the initial phases. US, Canada and Mexico have byes to

the final round groups. Two qualify, so should be okay unless Mexico gets a whole lot better or it's held in Mexico.

The men's team (still U-23?) has their first First round (two legs, September 6 and 10, 2003) against the US Virgin Islands (!?!), and then we have the secound round against (probaly) El Salvador (that should be tricky) (two legs, November 15 and 19, 2003). The final (two groups of 4, with the two semi-final winners progressing to Athens in August) is supposed to be in Mexico sometime after the New Year. Has to be some futher plans made by now for them. Hopefully we can get some of the younger in-euro guys for the series against El Salvador and in Mexico.

I read somewhere the New Brunswick is hosting the men's Olympic team's home match this summer (don't remember where in NB though.)

As for the women's team, the last Women's World Cup doubled as Olympic Qualifying. I'm not sure if that's the case this time or not.

Mike D

But what an Olympic team this should be - arguably our greatest ever. Take a look at that midfield - if all are healthy & available we should be able to start Canizales, Klukowski, De Guzman, Hutchison & Nsalia - with Dunfield also available. All of these players will have years of European pro club experience with them. Add to that Belotte, Friend, Hume, Godfrey up front, all with European experience, & A-league strikers like Lemire & Ngon also available, at the back Oppong, Braz, Harmse & Pozniak will all have Euro-experience with them, & then we have the likes of Rayner, Fernandes & Djenkanovic with Euro-experience in goal. And I haven't mentioned some of the younger players like Chin, Dutra & Ledgerwood. This team should be stacked & be considered as much of a favourite as anybody else in Concacaf to qualify for the Olympics.

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

Archived