Germany vs. Canada TV schedule

DJT

The Germany vs. Canada match kicks off at 1 PM EDT on Sunday, June 1. There is no live coverage in Canada on any "regular" channel (though I'm sure there must be some satellite feed available).

Here is the tape-delayed Canadian TV schedule (sorry for using Eastern time):

JUNE 1

4:00 PM EDT - Sportsnet East, Ontario, West & Pacific

JUNE 2

1:00 PM EDT - Sportsnet Ontario

2:00 PM EDT - Sportsnet East

JUNE 4

10:00 PM EDT - Sportsnet West

10:30 PM EDT - Sportsnet Pacific

Just to clarify. Am I correct to assume that 1Pm is the actual start to the game and 4Pm is the tape delay showing? In other words, I should tune in at 4PM right?

I am also surprised that they are rebroadcasting it so often. Not that I'm complaining mind you:D

BTW this is the third time I am typing this post. is anyone aware that the login feature on this page doesn't work? It appears that only the login on the main forum page works

Free-kick, you are right. It is tapedelayed 3 hours because of the Blue Jays game. Baseball is more popular than Soccer generally, not just with Hazel Mae. Except, baseball fans probalby wouldn't watch timedelayed games. Timedelaying baseball is a redundant concept.

quote:Originally posted by Free kick

Just to clarify. Am I correct to assume that 1Pm is the actual start to the game and 4Pm is the tape delay showing? In other words, I should tune in at 4PM right?

Sorry for the confusion. I've edited my post to make it clearer.

Thanks to Jarrek (I assume) for making this thread a sticky. The sticky feature can sometimes be over-used, but it's perfect for stuff like this.

There seems to be some confusion concerning a possible live broadcast of the game, generated by a commercial currently running on Sportsnet which advertises "there's only one way to see it live --- Rogers Sportsnet digital --- to order call your digital cable provider."

The only "Sportsnet digital" that I know of are the feeds from regions other than your own. Rogers' onscreen program guide (which comes with digital cable) says that, in addition to being broadcast at 4 PM EDT on all four Sportsnet feeds, the game will also be broadcast on Sportsnet East and Sportsnet Pacific at 1 PM EDT (which would be a live broadcast). So if you live in one of these regions or have access to their feeds then you might be in luck.

However, the various editions of sportsnetnews that I saw on Saturday night mentioned nothing about different schedules for different regions and nothing about a live broadcast. They just said that the Blue Jays game would be on at 1 PM EDT and the soccer game would be on at 4 PM EDT. There is nothing new on Sportsnet's Web site.

I think Sportsnet has handled this horribly. If there is a live broadcast then Sportsnet has completely failed in letting us know about it effectively. If there is no live broadcast then that commercial is false advertising. Canadian soccer fans have been given second-rate (heck, more like third-rate) treatment once again.

Anyway, at 1 PM EDT check your feed and any other feed to which you have access. You might get lucky. Otherwise, wait until 4 PM EDT.

We've been around the block a couple times on this. I live in the Pacific Region and have digital cable. The game is scheduled here on the regional SportsNet at 1 pm (PDT), after the Blue Jays game (which starts here at 10 am). It is NOT listed as a PPV option -- the only soccer listed in the on-screen menu of available PPV events is Tuesday's England vs S&M clash.

There is hope -- but not for us. (Kafka)

quote:Originally posted by BC supporter

We've been around the block a couple times on this. I live in the Pacific Region and have digital cable. The game is scheduled here on the regional SportsNet at 1 pm (PDT), after the Blue Jays game (which starts here at 10 am). It is NOT listed as a PPV option -- the only soccer listed in the on-screen menu of available PPV events is Tuesday's England vs S&M clash.

Okay, here is what I think happened. The match was indeed available live (unfortunately I had plans to be elsewhere at the time because I didn't know it would be live until late Saturday night, but I checked before I left). What Sportsnet did was show the baseball game locally in each region but show the soccer game on the digital feeds. So, living in BC, on your Sportsnet Pacific you got baseball, but on my Sportsnet Pacific digital feed I got soccer. Similarly for the East. This would explain why the commercial advertised "only on digital cable", because having the local Pacific and East feeds wasn't enough, you needed the digital ones (and I believe just having digital cable is not enough because you need to subscribe specifically to the Sportsnet feeds).

This practice of broadcasting something in region X that is different from what is broadcast on the digital feed from region X is not really new, because, for example, when the Vancouver Canucks are on Sportsnet Pacific I don't get to see them but rather I get a blacked-out screen or some other program such as sportsnetnews. So, in effect, Sportsnet could probably have 8 different programs running at the same time (theoretically, at least).

What I'm angry about is that all of this was not made clear. The commercial just said to call your provider to order. Well I don't have to order because I already have the feeds, so how about telling me how I'm supposed to see the game? Explain it in the commercial, and, please, put it on the Web site!

quote:Originally posted by DJT

Okay, here is what I think happened. The match was indeed available live. What Sportsnet did was show the baseball game locally in each region but show the soccer game on the digital feeds. This would explain why the commercial advertised "only on digital cable".

What I'm angry about is that all of this was not made clear. The commercial just said to call your provider to order. Well I don't have to order because I already have the feeds, so how about telling me how I'm supposed to see the game? Explain it in the commercial, and, please, put it on the Web site!

I doubt Sportsnet showed the match live anywhere. Sportsnet would have had to get satellite space to transmit an additional channel with the game on it and tell all the cable companies to replace the normal out-of-region feeds with the new one, for the game.

I can't see that happening for any event, let alone a soccer friendly.

Well, it did. Here is the email I just received from Sportsnet. Good to know for the future, but they could have advertised a little better...

Dear Theo ;

Thank you for your recent e-mail. We apologize for the delayed response and thank you for your patience. At Sportsnet our viewers are our number one priority.

Sportsnet understands your concerns with regards to events being tape delayed. What we have done is made these games available live on digital. If you have all four Sportsnet channels you could have watched the game live on Sportsnet Pacific or East. This will be happening with other events as well. Thanks for your interest in Canadian Soccer.

Should you have any additional questions, comments or concerns, please feel free to contact us. We can be reached at feedback@sportsnet.ca <mailto:feedback@sportsnet.ca> or at our toll free number 1-877-288-7767. Once again, thank you for your comments. We look forward to hearing from you soon.

Sincerely,

Jesse Cassaday

Audience Relations

Mimglow, Ottawa

Where are the weapons of mass destruction?

You know, I like to think I'm tuned in as much as anyone on things like this. But I was completely unaware -- and saw no information posted anywhere -- that you could see it live if you got all 4 SportsNet digital feeds. I apologize to "al" in Oshawa for making fun of his repeated "is the game on live?" posts. I was the one who was wrong.

"There is hope -- but not for us." (Kafka)

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

I doubt Sportsnet showed the match live anywhere.

Umm, I'm not sure why you're doubting me because I said that I checked my digital feeds and saw the game on live (I just wasn't able to watch it because I had plans to go out, thanks to Sportsnet not effectively explaining what they were going to do).

quote:Originally posted by Rivaldo

Sportsnet would have had to get satellite space to transmit an additional channel with the game on it and tell all the cable companies to replace the normal out-of-region feeds with the new one, for the game.

I also said that this happens all the time. When, for example, Vancouver Canucks games are on in BC my digital feed from BC will have something different.

quote:Originally posted by Mimglow

Good to know for the future, but they could have advertised a little better...

Yes, that's what I've been saying since I first posted about this. And from what Sportsnet e-mailed to you it appears that I was correct with what I said before. But people didn't seem to believe me.

Archived