Manchester United reportedly after MLS goalie

Jarrek

United reportedly after MLS goalie

May. 27, 2003. 09:58 AM

EAST RUTHERFORD, New Jersey (AP) — Manchester United is on the verge of buying the rights to MetroStars goalkeeper Tim Howard for about $3 million US, according to a published report.

The Herald News of West Paterson, citing two unidentified league sources, said the deal will be completed this week. MetroStars general manager Nick Sakiewicz would not comment on the report, but the team confirmed last week that the British club had inquired about purchasing Howard's contract.

Howard, who has been the MLS goalkeeper of the year the last two seasons, has posted three shutouts this season and leads the league in saves, save percentage and goals-against average.

ferguson may have been asked about howard. and said something like "ya, he's a good player." (i know united have said more in greater detail about him.) but united REALLY don't need a keeper of his skill or age. barthez will not be going anywhere this summer. ya, he was sat out the final few games, but did it occur to anyone that you need 10 league appearances to collect a winners medal and fergie was trying to get carroll those appearances? no. plus, we've got ricardo. he's aging, but still incredibly talented. he's a less flamboyant and naturally skilled barthez. behind them we have got ben williams, and luke steele. both HUGELY talented. given the opportunity could both be england number ones.

next year i'd like to see carroll given more matches as i think he is more than adequate, and seems to never give away a poor goal, and usually gets a clean sheet. keep barthez around one more year and wait for just the right keeper rather than rush into anyone. maybe toldo or buffon will become available. rame is very good as well.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

I asked a few of my American friends about Howard and they said he is a very good keeper. Pretty athletic and a good shot stopper. As much as I hate United, I hope Howard does well with them.

You don't win friends with salad!

Archived