canadian league.

it's been discussed to death. here is my proposal with all it's flaws.

Create a 12 team premier league. The league would be played along the same course as the MLS.

below this would be regional leagues. Meaning, a top league from each province. At the end of each season, the winners from each regional league would play the winner of the province directly east/west. Meaning, the winner of BC would play Alberta. This would narrow the field to 5 clubs competing for 1 promotion spot. Similar to the BC Youth Provincial Championships, there would be a 5 team round-robin. No playoff final. The best team from those 4 matches, wins. Period. The bottom side from the canadian national league joins their regional league.

Each canadian league side would have a reserve team that would compete locally, in the regional league, which would make most sense. Each side would also have a youth side going up to age 19, and they would compete in the provincial under 21 league that is currently in place. it would look like this:

Premier League: Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Regina, Winnipeg, Toronto, Charlottetown, Fredericton, Victoria, Ottawa, Montreal, Quebec.

Regional BC League (for example): Chilliwack, Abbotsford, Kelowna, Penticton, Kamloops, Surrey FC, Surrey United, Coquitlam, Burnaby, Richmond, North Shore, Victoria, Nanaimo, and the various Vancouver sides such as Westside, ICSF Inter, and Sapperton. (this is essentially the same sides that form the youth metro leagues in bc).

Youth sides would compete in that provinces Youth Metro Soccer League.

The Reserve Team would compete in the Regional BC League, and unable to acquire promotion of course to the premier league.

Below the regional league sides would compete as they do now, culminating in a provincial playoff for promotion to the league above just as the provincial regional sides do for promotion to the canadian premier league.

I think this is the most feasible format. Keeping things simple, regional, and economical.

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

A 12 team team wouldn't work in Canada. The hearts of the teams would have to come from local players. Some of the cities don't have the ability to produce the number of players needed.

A 10 team top flight is the best option for Canada.

It makes also better sense to work with th provincial leagues already in existance and not work from the ground up.

Could play around a bit with it I suppose.

Hard to imagine southern Ontario getting only one PL slot and the praires 4. Would be hard to sell to whoever's going to pay for it a league that could potentialy have NO southern Ontario club and 3 sides from Manitoba & Saskatchewan. That being said, however having a regional PL territory has it's appeal. Just needs a little tuning. As dose promotion/relegation for all we've discussed the issue before.

Would sure keep season's end interesting for bottom of the table sides and would sure spark interest in the Regional leagues. For whatever reasons SoI here in Winnipeg sure have gotten the other clubs going. Mostly I think because they're very focused on repeating as Canadian champions and showing/telling everyone that they are. Lucania feel they're better than the Lions and liked being Canadian champs. And Sokol who didn't loose a match against the Lions or Lucania in league play in 2002 feel cheated. I can just imagine how things would be if there was a plum like a promotion playoff to offer. Intense.

Of course, how do you handle this floating promotion as it relates to the PL regional slots. Tricky. I mean you could see the Regional League playoff constantly won by Toronto sides as Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton drop out of the PL. In a couple of years you could have an eastern or western based league. Now how do you correct that (and keep things kinda fair) I wonder.

Minority of one

Cheeta, you may want to look at South African rugby's Currie Cup or even the Rugby Canada Super League http://www.rcsl.ca for ideas. I think the provinces will be club rugby and there will have to be representative teams for each province or regions inside the bigger provinces. ex London Ontario would represent Western Canada and Montreal would represent Southern Quebec. At best the provincial leagues would become feeder leagues to supply local talent.

Just a thought.

last night before i went to bed i was obsessed. i pretty much fine tuned my idea. but i won't reprint it out here.

basically, i was greedy with 12 teams. but expanded it to like 16 in my head (the perfect world!). 10 teams would be just fine. it works for the mls and keeps there quality relatively high.

yes, you could end up with no team in ontario, but 4 on the prairies.

maybe, have one or two largely regional prairie sides and call them Prairie FC United or something. you know?

the highlight of the competition would be the promotion battles.

you wouldn't have to create the provincial regional leagues from scratch. just move the current sides from the league they are in, to the new canadian league system. basically, adding a couple of teams to each league, and changing names.

i also added cups to the mix. the premier league sides, and the provincial league sides would be automatically introduced, and the provincial regional league sides would be able to apply for the national cup as well. however, their would be a separate cup for each province that involved only the provincial regional league sides, and the youth sides. the winners of which would go to a national championship of some sort. most likely a 5 squad tournament after they eliminated their neigbouring province.

i have this much more organized in the notes i jotted down last night. if only i could contact the CSA.

one last note....if we have a canadian baseball league in a country that doesn't give a damn about baseball, how is it that we don't have a canadian soccer league when it is the most played sport in the country!?

there ain't gonna be any middle any more.

"one last note....if we have a canadian baseball league in a country that doesn't give a damn about baseball, how is it that we don't have a canadian soccer league when it is the most played sport in the country!?"

Good question! It would appear that Corporate Canada is more interested in baseball than soccer.

"All them rock & roll writers are the worst kind of sleaze, selling punk like some new kind of English disease. Is that the wave of the future? Awww spare me please!" Frank Zappa, Joe's Garage (1979).

quote:Originally posted by Gian-Luca

"one last note....if we have a canadian baseball league in a country that doesn't give a damn about baseball, how is it that we don't have a canadian soccer league when it is the most played sport in the country!?"

Good question! It would appear that Corporate Canada is more interested in baseball than soccer.

There is support form Corperate Canada in realtion to soccer. The problem is that they would rather make the investment overseas rather than making the needed investments at home.

None of this takes into account the amount of travel involved, and the short time frame where the weather is good. You can't play a game in March in sunny Calgary. :)

Hence the A-League divisions.

quote:Originally posted by felix

None of this takes into account the amount of travel involved, and the short time frame where the weather is good. You can't play a game in March in sunny Calgary. :)

Hence the A-League divisions.

The A-League plays from May to September. The increasing number of Canadian teams will create a de facto Canadian League.

Consider that some of the travel to the US that is involved is the same as travelling to many parts of Canada.

Archived