Voyageurs shirts?

JayWay

For no apparent reason, I got to thinking today that despite it's established history and stability, the Voyageurs have never offered anything in the way of shirts or any other merchandise.

With the Voyageurs constantly looking for ways to fund the V-Cup and other possible future ventures, I think something like this could be a smart move.

Even if it's just to get the club exposure, or just to claim Canadian soccer street cred and impress girls, I think it's sad that the Voyageurs has been around for a few years now, yet there is nothing Voyageurs have to identify as a member. Due to the inactivity of the national team on the home front and the spread out nature of the country, there are not many opportunities to solidfy any type of unity between the Voyageurs. Except this board, ofcourse. Hell the website is barely ever updated.

I think what got me thinking about this was Jarrek's logo on the new board. It's very classy. It's almost traditionally Canadian in that it's understated and not at all flashy or arrogant.

A logo like that is something I'd certainly wear on a shirt. I think as long as the design doesn't go overboard, we can put together a really nice product.

For instance, just the logo and wording on the tit (tm sea) and the website in small print at the top of the back.

Or maybe just "National Supporters Club of Canadian Soccer".

Anyone interested in following up on an idea like this?

"Winning is most important. Everything is a consequence of that."

-Ayrton Senna (1960 - 1994)

I'm definitely behind this idea, for the reasons you described well. But to put it simply, I'd like to show us off a bit. [8D]

When Jarrek first designed the logo (the round one, not including the big "The Voyageurs" text splashed across it as appears at the top of the new forum) I suggested getting some merchandise featuring it (not only T-shirts, but other stuff as well). Jarrek said that he already had that in mind, but I guess he hasn't been able to follow up on it.

All it takes is for someone to take charge, look into it a bit, report back with some numbers and see what people think. Any volunteers? (I don't know anything about this stuff, plus I'm committed to the V Cup, but if no one else comes forward I might take a look around at some point.)

quote:Originally posted by JayWay

For instance, just the logo and wording on the tit (tm sea) and the website in small print at the top of the back.

Or maybe just "National Supporters Club of Canadian Soccer".

I like that, but I don't think the wording is necessary on the front and I think the Web address is probably the best idea for the back (though if you want a phrase describing us it should be simply "Canadian Soccer Supporters" as appears on the logo). Also, I'm envisioning the T-shirt to be white or grey.

A really really easy way to do this would be to use CafePress.com. Check out http://www.cafepress.com/fifaconcacaf/ for an idea.

Basically CafePress sells white shirts, and pays their "store owners" to do their branding and marketing. It's an empire built atop tons of 'niche markets' like us. We set up a store (called the Voyageurs store). Select the products to be branded, provide the art work and then set the profit margin. Eg. CafePress sells white shirts (and mugs, mousepads, t-shirts, golf shirts, etc.) at a set price, say $15 (which includes their markup). I set the price at $17. Someone buys a shirt and CafePress sends me a cheque for $2 (well they wait until your profits reach a certain point before they send you a cheque.. $25 or something).

I'd be willing to set this up, and I have Jarrek's original artwork so I can do all the product branding if he's too busy. The beauty of this is that we can offer many different kinds of products and many different designs.. something we couldn't do if we were handling the production and distribution ourselves. Also, no one has to wharehouse the extra stock in case someone wants a shirt 2 months from now. The main drawback is that the funds are $USD, but careful pricing shouldn't be too bad. I can't remember what the shipping is like, but we could look into it. I do have first hand account that the quality of the products is quite high.

Of course, we'd need to set up some sort of plan for what to do with the funds generated by this scheme. We could possibly open different stores for the Voyageurs and for the Voyageurs Cup.

Just a suggestion.

http://www.fifaconcacaf.com

I designed and printed some shirts for the ultras last year. I can do the same for the Voyageurs using different logos and styles. It's at least a $500 investment.

I would have to use some possible leftover money from the Voyageurs Cup? as startup capital for the shirts.

I would say do the Cafe Press option. Why hassle with the production of items when they will do it?

As for excess funds, lets wory about that when it comes but I would suggest that the priorities be: Voyageurs web site costs, V-Cup web site costs, V-cup promotion. (The last item can absorb any amount that the venture might generate.)

quote:Originally posted by ted

I would say do the Cafe Press option. Why hassle with the production of items when they will do it?

As for excess funds, lets wory about that when it comes but I would suggest that the priorities be: Voyageurs web site costs, V-Cup web site costs, V-cup promotion. (The last item can absorb any amount that the venture might generate.)

Although I agree with you on the Cafe Press side, I disagree on your priorities. Because the money was raised for the V-Cup, any V-Cup expenses or investments must come before any other investments. In the same way, I would not necessarily expect Voyageurs shirt income to go towards the Cup; Voyageurs costs (e.g. web site, making a giant flag, etc) would need to be covered first, and excess decided on later.

Allez les Rouges,

M@

• 2 months later...

Since Adidas is the official sponsor of the National Teams I think if someone approached them and inquired if they would help. The only concern would be that it does not infringe on the marketing deal they have with the CSA. As long as the Voyageurs is independant of the CSA, Adidas may be interested.

Steve

waste of time and money, just wear the National team jersey, it sends a message all on its own.

Aside from the last Gold Cup, albeit, mostly Toronto Ultras, the voyageurs still don't travel as a large collective from sea to shining sea.

PS - i forgot, about approaching these companies like UMBRO, ADIDAS. This is what you'll get; Will give you the t-shirts at such and such a price and you can sell it off to your friends and other supporters. What happens later is, everyone is gung ho about the idea until it is time to fork out the monies, all of a sudden whoever invests into the shirts, are then stuck with them and no one in their right mind will buy one. Like i said, better off wearing the National team jersey because that has better representation than wearing a shirt that entitles your association with an internet newsgroup, ooooohhhhh, RE...MARK...ABLE.

quote:Originally posted by Franky

Like i said, better off wearing the National team jersey because that has better representation than wearing a shirt that entitles your association with an internet newsgroup, ooooohhhhh, RE...MARK...ABLE.

Yes, the "Internet Newsgroup Cup" was received just that way.

While I can see Franky's point, I think this line of thinking lessens the possibilities that I see with the Voyageurs. And it's also why I'm still in favour of making the group more of a fan club and less of a gaggle of people on a newsgroup--and Franky's right about what we are in any tangible sense.

However, if you were opening cheques at the Furyous rate that Dwayne was last summer, you'd probably feel (as I obviously do) that the Voyageurs are more than an Internet forum--what, exactly, we are is up for debate, but whether we are something bigger than that is at least less debatable.

But no, buy a national team shirt--the CSA needs the money. Where did you think that $61m was going to come from? The government!?

:D

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by Franky

Like i said, better off wearing the National team jersey because that has better representation than wearing a shirt that entitles your association with an internet newsgroup, ooooohhhhh, RE...MARK...ABLE.

While I can see Franky's point, I think this line of thinking lessens the possibilities that I see with the Voyageurs. And it's also why I'm still in favour of making the group more of a fan club and less of a gaggle of people on a newsgroup--and Franky's right about what we are in any tangible sense.

However, if you were opening cheques at the Furyous rate that Dwayne was last summer, you'd probably feel (as I obviously do) that the Voyageurs are more than an Internet forum--what, exactly, we are is up for debate, but whether we are something bigger than that is at least less debatable.

But no, buy a national team shirt--the CSA needs the money. Where did you think that $61m was going to come from? The government!?

Allez les Rouges,

M@

quote:Originally posted by mattbin

Allez les Rouges,

M@

Yes, what M@ said. We are more than an Internet group. We are also more than a group that attends matches. I believe that we have the potential to be even more than what we are. But we need people to take action!

Franky, maybe you haven't been here long enough, but many of us feel something for this group. It is not at all unusual for this to happen even if we are Internet-based. That's the main reason why some of us want T-shirts.

But I do think that there are other reasons as well. I've talked to many people who aren't fans of Canadian soccer, some not fans of soccer at all, but, when I tell them about the Voyageurs and what we do, these people are always impressed. The fact that we exist gives Canadian soccer more credibility. There's no reason to downplay the Voyageurs. In fact, we should be doing the opposite, and Voyageurs T-shirts are part of this.

In the end, anyone who doesn't want to buy a shirt doesn't have to.

Archived