CSA: CSA Withdraws Edmonton Bid

DJT

From http://www.canadasoccer.com/eng/media/viewArtical.asp?Press_ID=1224:

Canadian Soccer Association

Thursday, May 22, 2003

CSA Withdraws Edmonton Bid

Ottawa, Ontario – The Canadian Soccer Association announced late Thursday evening it has officially withdrawn its bid to host a Women’s World Cup group in Edmonton, Alberta. The CSA had bid to have Edmonton’s Commonwealth Stadium act as one of the venues for the 2003 World Cup should FIFA decide to award the tournament to the United States.

However after consulting with CONCACAF President Jack Warner on Thursday the CSA decided to withdraw their offer.

“After speaking with President Warner, we have today decided to withdraw our offer in an effort to provide CONCACAF with a unanimous bid to host the World Cup,” said CSA President Sharpe while attending Canada’s women’s international friendly against England in Ottawa. “We are convinced Edmonton would have been an excellent host city but we must consider importance of showing solidarity within our Confederation.”

The FIFA Executive Committee is expected to make an announcement on who will host the Women’s World Cup in the next two weeks. The USA and Sweden are now the only two countries to submit official bids. The Executive Committee decided to move the tournament from China earlier this month over fears related to SARS.

quote:Originally posted by Sigma

Would hosting one group in the 2003 WWC hurt our chances of hosting the 2011 WWC?

In my opinion, the US hosting this year's WWC, even without us hosting a group, would hurt our chances of hosting in 2011. Giving it to the US this year and Canada in 2011 would mean that three out of four WWCs would be held in North America while Europe would have none in 16 years. And of course we can't forget Australia.

I think that the US will get it this year (however unfair that is), with or without us. I think that will screw us over for 2011, and to make matters worse we are being screwed over (or screwing ourselves over?) this year for the sake of "showing solidarity" with the US. WTF indeed. [V]

2011 is going to France (ore somewhere else in Europe) for sure. North America wouldn't be given it again until 2015 at the earliest. Our best bet is to be awarded the 2007 tournament at the last minute if there is another crisis in China.

Sigma: Yes, you're right Buds! No decisions made on 2011 by FIFA, I was just theorizing with the cold water of reality. CSA can still try, just very unlikely. At least Kara Lang (boy, she looked ggod last night, even if she was knackered at the end) will still be young enough to play in 2015!

I hope the CSA got major IOUs for this. Such as: 1) a guarantee that the US won't bid against us the next time the World Cup is in CONCACAF (probably 2015 at the earliest); 2) a guarantee that Canada will be placed in a group in the northern US (assuming the States win the right to this year's World Cup) so Canadian fans can at least get down there to support them without too much difficulty; and 3) a promise that the US will let us host a men's Gold Cup one of these days.

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

MikeD: Even if they got some sort of commitment from USSoccer, how much do you think it would be worth?

Well, in the absence of any evidence that US Soccer is run by liars, I'd be willing to take it at face value. Do you have any evidence that they're liars?

Mike D

quote:Originally posted by beachesl

No, unlike many Associations, they are straightforward.

But they are very competitive. They are out for themselves everytime a tournament or game is available, which is fine and good.

do you have any evidence of IOU's?

Nope, I was just saying that I hoped they got something like that in exchnage for abandoning the bid.

Mike D

Archived