World Soccer

Our new hopefully visible place to talk about all things soccer in the world.

• Qatar Tifo Fund Raiser

Please help out! 

Check it out here. 

https://www.thevoyageurs.org/store/product/73-qatar-2022-tifo-fund-raiser/

• FIFA World Cup 2022 - Qatar

• Langley look really good. The CPL vets look like CPL vets. At 2-0 they brought on more firepower and kept attacking, which I love, swashbuckling football. And I will reiterate my point about most of the young Canadians not likely getting a tonne of minutes this season. It will be interesting to see what they do with Cameron, White, Crawford, Campagna, Bah, etc. because I can see an indefinite unchanged starting back 4 at this rate. (Even though I have question marks about Norman and Gee against the top sides) And then there is finding time for Grady further up the pitch. Cantave and the young  Mexican Navarro will be subs 1 and 2 most nights if this continues. And both looked electric, so it's understandable. TJ will find minutes, surely. And Simmons and Verhoven are still to come into this matchday lineup. Not enough minutes to go around, barring a run of significant injuries. Their second best 11 could be as good as their first 11 at the start of last season. No exaggeration. Good problems to have but issues nevertheless.  
    • No one can know what the attendance actually was. But we know it can't possibly be 2702, because that is the number on the canpl website. 
    • It was part of what Neville said about bringing him to Portland, if I recall, and Neville had seen him with Canada. He is definitely the organizers of the pair they have there, from what I have seen.  I guess we can debate whether we trust Neville's judgement or not but that was the noise being made from my memory. 
    • Probably easier seen as a 4312 I guess.    Davies------------ Buchanan -----------David------------- Kone Eustaquio Choiniere/Ali Miller Cornelius Bombito Johnson    I would need to keep Davies in one of those wide attack positions, again they were quite mobile strikers.    The strikers might press across line the but it was it was rare the rest of the team did.  The default position of the 3 midfielders was withdrawn and they would wait until the fullbacks or their central midfielders were across half to engage.  Long range passing was pretty key at the back, including big diagonals.  Not my preffered formation but something that worked against more talented teams, coming up on 10 years ago now.  (One of the things that broke it was one of the strikers supposedly visiting a "natural" - wouldn't use the word "witch" - doctor for his back while on international duty.)
    • I like this thought exercise but trying to wrap my head around it.  It almost sounds like a 4-3-3 with a CDM and 2 CM and the striker playing as a false 9 given the CMNT profile. However, if west ham played 2 strikers than it sounds more 4 diamond 2.  How did west ham defend the opposing fullback. Do the strikers track the FB and Stewart downing then steps up to push the CB's to go a certain direction? How far back did the striker track the fullbacks, if at all?  Very interesting.   back 4 (with davies)  Staq Kone Choiniere ali David Tajon I think in this formation we probably drop larin. we could drop ali, move david back and have davies and tajon up front but thats 2 non strikers so I would assume having at least david there is important. This means we sit tajon or drop davies to lb.  Really tough for me to place cmnt players in this lineup