Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 05:16 PM

but it has to be tough on Dero even Shalrie Joseph is a DP now

#3 Guest_The Bent Musket_*

Guest_The Bent Musket_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:30 PM

If DeRo can't get DP status in DC, he should go somewhere that he can. If ANYONE deserves it, he does, especially now that the Revs have laid the blueprint for rewarding long-time MLS standouts with DP dollars. Shalrie deserved his tag, and DeRo definitely deserves it, too.

#4 Ossington Mental Youth

Ossington Mental Youth

• CSN
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 06:59 PM

it drives me insane that i cannot see this article in its entirety

#5 Duane Rollins

Duane Rollins

• Administrators
  • 19 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:02 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is as it shows up fine on my end. I moved the pagebreak to the bottom of the article. Hopefully that will fix whatever it is that is preventing some from seeing the article.

#6 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:24 PM

Dero is the man - all he does is produce anywhere he goes. He deserves DP status, imagine how frustrated he was playing with those bunch of hacks in Toronto.

#7 Ossington Mental Youth

Ossington Mental Youth

• CSN
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 February 2012 - 07:31 PM

I'm not sure what the issue is as it shows up fine on my end. I moved the pagebreak to the bottom of the article. Hopefully that will fix whatever it is that is preventing some from seeing the article.

works for me now.
lets blame skynet for this one.

#8 Guest_Lucas_*

Guest_Lucas_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 08:23 PM

I guess I'm still a newby in terms of the complicated world of MLS contracts. I thought you couldn't pay a guy more than the league max of $350K-ish without him being a DP. I thought a DP was, simply put, anyone making more than that max amount, and that each team could have two of them, or a third with a luxury tax. If a team can pay a guy over $350k without using a DP spot, what does that player cost in cap space? Why wouldn't a team use the DP spot?

Ultimately, is this about team or player economics, or is it just that we think he deserves the title of DP? Because to my mind DP is a contract issue, respect is counted in captains armbands, MVP titles, national team CAPs, etc.

#9 Guest_Registrado_*

Guest_Registrado_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 09:55 PM

Ultimately, is this about team or player economics, or is it just that we think he deserves the title of DP? Because to my mind DP is a contract issue, respect is counted in captains armbands, MVP titles, national team CAPs, etc.

Exactly. DeRo; brilliant player that travels w/ a load of personal baggage. I bet if he lets some go, it'll come together for him. He sure can do it on the pitch, what a beast when in the zone. In Toronto, playing under the direction of Preki and MLSE w/ a trashed team and fanbase made it worse. Sometimes lows show the way to highs. If he gets a good deal in DC and truly gets over their latest DP striker signing, realizing it could make the team that much better, well he could even have a better year than last. Best to him.

#10 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:15 PM

Well, looks like he just signed a new non-DP contract. No details (as normal) but we'll get to see the exact salary figures sometime later this year.

http://www.dcunited....ns-new-contract

#11 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2012 - 10:32 PM

"Putting aside how much de Guzman is underrated by many in the TFC community..."

I rate him as a good holding mid in this league, but not close to the $350 K of cap hit or allocation allotment he takes up. No other MLS team was willing to pay that, either, when he was exposed in two expansion drafts so I guess they also underrate him as much as many in the TFC community.

#12 downsouth

downsouth

• CSN
  • PipPipPip
  • 49 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

How does DC benefit from giving DeRo more money?

#13 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:03 AM

DeGuzman is obviously way over-payed..
On another note, now that MLS has become more established in North America why don't they do away with this communist system of league owned contracts and allocations etc... Similiar to Europe allow owners to operate independantly and spend where what they see fit. MLS will then be on an equal footing with Europe and if willing owners step-up we will be able to sign world class players.

#14 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:28 AM

DeGuzman is obviously way over-payed..
On another note, now that MLS has become more established in North America why don't they do away with this communist system of league owned contracts and allocations etc... Similiar to Europe allow owners to operate independantly and spend where what they see fit. MLS will then be on an equal footing with Europe and if willing owners step-up we will be able to sign world class players.

Yeah" 'cause independent ownership is working out really well in Europe. Rangers(!) are in administration. Spain is even more of a two team league than ever before, the only way to challenge in England is to be bought by an oligarch or a sheik.

We would not be on equal footing with Europe. Even within Europe teams aren't on equal footing. Even assuming that teams in mls had piles of transfer cash at the ready (HUGE assumption) the young stars would still want the glory of real, barca, etc. we would be on equal footing with the former soviet countries with oil cash and with Qatar - lots of cash but only able to spend it on the Roberto Carlos types.

#15 Guest_Registrado_*

Guest_Registrado_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 12:47 AM

Exactly; it would also help if more than a handful of clubs were profitable first too. The time may come, but I'd say all things considered, this system is one of the main things allowing the league to consistently get better and more relevant and respected even. If need be, for reminder purposes, you can always look up info on the original NASL and what led to its collapse.

#16 Guest_Lopper_*

Guest_Lopper_*
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2012 - 01:56 AM

Well he may not be a DP with his new contract in DC ....BUT..he is now being paid more than either of their other two DP's!!! (see Soccer by Ives for reference). DC is paying down the difference with allocation money. Sp, while he may not be DP in name only, he IS getting paid like one, and money was always what it was about for DeRo. He wanted to be paid like the other DPs, like a top player in the league, and to cash out before his career was over and set up himself and family for life. He's done that now - and frankly there can be no question that he deserved it based on his play and it should have come sooner for him because his play alwaus merited it.

#17 Drew Shaw

Drew Shaw

• CSN
  • 225 posts

Posted 21 February 2012 - 02:37 AM

DeRo has had a great MLS career, and hopefully can get the DP title to go with the cash. Canadians and Americans should be the first "DPs" this league is trying to sign.

#18 Guest_Unregistered_*

Guest_Unregistered_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2012 - 07:23 AM

Makes sense that DC didn't give him a DP spot. He'll be DC's highest paid player and his salary will be paid down with allocation. Why give him a DP spot and pay the $250,000 luxury tax which would probably come out of allocation anyways? They can now put that same $250,000 allocation amount towards his salary instead of paying it out to the league (and subsequently divided up amongst the other teams).

#19 Guest_Duru_*

Guest_Duru_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 02:20 AM

Just getting a bit tired of erihang it thrown up in every talk about the Timbers' season so far!I hope it's a good trip. One day I'll be making it too. Have a good one.

#20 Guest_Walter_*

Guest_Walter_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2012 - 06:18 AM

/ It becomes cllarey apparent that there is a lot to know about this. I feel you have made a lot of exceptional points in your article.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users